How to hire a Virtual Assistant
Here is a very practical guide on how to hire a VA (Virtual Assistant), and free up your time in massive way.
I have been working with VAs since 2012 with great results, and it has deeply transformed my life.
My top 3 sources are:
– They facilitate and assign you a VA for monthly fee
– I’ve used it in the past, good talent but limited on the types os tasks
(they can’t do data entry, or access private company systems)
2) Fancy hands:
– $30/mo – 5 tasks
– Cheaper, you get assigned a random VA every task
– Tasks have to be very clear
– Very scalable (but not super convenient for me)
3) Up work
– Find your own freelance virtual assistant (what I currently have)
– on average $10 – $20 /hr
– I have a set up an “hour bank” with my VA, of around 10-20 hours/month
– With this system, not only I have the same person that knows my timing and personal preferences
– It also allows for the VA to be proactive on tasks.
– I recommend hiring 3 or 4 and give it a try.
(and search for Virtual Assistant)
Template for job request:
Here is my most recent job posting on UpWork, assessing my expectations of the assistant I’m about to hire:
I need someone with great communication skills
– English spoken and written
– Quick feedback + acknowledgement of my task requests
– Ability to call locations in the US and abroad
(call costs will be covered)
– great with Google docs and spreadsheets
– Great organization skills: Prioritization and keeping track of tasks
– tech savvy: ability to use and research on ios apps
– Expense reports: taking information from receipts i send, creating a spreadsheet with all entries, and entering them on systems like “Concur”
– helping on scheduling meeting with large teams
– ability to contact and manage translators over fiverr or other sites, to translate foreign documents and receipts, and general support abroad.
– Airline price comparison, and booking flights
– being very knowledgeable in airline booking, fares, mileage programs
– hotel and airbnb reservations
– restaurant reservations
– managing personal errands: dry cleaning, house cleaning services, haircut appointments, dentist, doctor, etc
– managing fiverr, task rabbit, and elance outsourcing
– research on online shopping for personal items: clothing, gifts, etc
Airbnb property management
– Managing my airbnb listings: Responding to inquiries and communicating with guests
– Managing remotely cleaning services and key delivery
– Research on articles
– updating content in WordPress
– managing + support of content creation
Please let me know if this is something you can support me with
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY if your ongoing availability allows”
I have used this template with a good response rate. Give it a shot.
You should get quite a few responses, and I would “batch” interview candidates. Setting up a block of 2 hours or so, and giving each one a 20/30min chunk. The best one gets a test round a couple of paid hours. It’s very convenient, since you are only committed on the hours you pay for.